Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas in Turkey...

Oh wait, that doesn't happen here! Have you ever celebrated a holiday, like Christmas, in a country that doesn't? It makes it kind of hard to get in the holiday spirit.  I miss going to the mall and seeing it all decked out in Christmas decorations and children waiting in mile long lines just to sit on Santa's lap and tell him everything they are wishing for.  The past couple of days I have been listening to Christmas music on Pandora and all these songs are bringing back so many memories.  From my days of working in retail and having to listen to these songs, usually on repeat, and never tire of them to the songs that make me think of home.  But then again, pretty much anything and everything is making me think of home right now.  I try not to dwell on it, but we all know it's in the back of my mind!

Up until last week, the weather made it hard to imagine Christmas was coming so soon. We had been having 80 degree weather, sunshine, clear blue skies, still able to walk outside in tank tops and not need a jacket.  That all changed REAL quick.  It doesn't snow here in Adana...we are in one of the warmest parts of Turkey (most days I am very thankful for that...guess i've already forgotten what those 110 degree days of summer feel like!) but it sure does RAIN!!!!! We've had so much rain, it's beginning to come through our ceilings!

Anyhow, I didn't do this entry to talk about the rain, I did it to talk about Christmas.  I've done most of my shopping online or out in 'The Alley'.  I wanted to try as much as I could to send home Turkish gifts, I would call myself successful for the most part.  Earlier today my friend, Amanda, and I went to the BX and were looking around at the abundance very few Christmas decorations they had and it gave me mixed feelings.  I loved the feeling of "Christmas shopping" b/c yes, I was picking up a couple gifts for J-Twice but at the same time it made me miss the aisles upon aisles of Christmas decor in say, Target or Wal-mart! haha (I know, go figure) It made me miss that "rush"of making sure you get everything before   Christmas.  Which then got me remembering the days of last minute shopping with my dad.....because he is notorious for waiting until Christmas Eve to shop for mom and I was always his little elf! This is the first Christmas in 25 years that I will not be home....I still am not quite sure how I feel about that!


Santa's elves have already sent us some presents to surround our tree. J-Twice is having a hard time not peeking in all of his gifts!


But this little guy tells us we only have 10 days left!!! Woo-hoooo!!!


I've been baking lots of Christmas cookies and am glad to say they are out of my house so that I can't blame them on gaining weight this holiday season! haha On base, they do what they call the 'Cookie Caper' and they deliver cookies to all the unaccompanied Airmen on base.  The Spouses' Club bakes and packages them.  I baked mostly for that and then I also added in a couple different batches for J-Twice to take to his office. He tells me everyone has been enjoying them! Better them than me! :) Another memory of Christmas time..jamming to Christmas tunes and baking tons and tons of cookies with the family. 

Plans are not exactly set yet as for what we are going to be doing for Christmas, but one way or another we will be spending the day with friends.  I'm very grateful for the wonderful group of friends I have made here at this base.  I will be with my family via Skype and in our hearts.

And while you are enjoying your time with your families, please remember to think about and say a prayer for the amazing military members who are not able to be with family this year. There are still lots of troops in the desert that need our thoughts and prayers, as well as troops that didn't make it to spend another Christmas with the ones they love. Please remember them.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see your snowman is keeping track of the days until Christmas! I can't even imagine Christmas without you and James this year...oh but wait, you will be here - we plan to hook the computer to the big screen TV so you can be with us!!! Love from cold, snowy Ohio!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, we will be there! :) Christmas will be just fine, just another milestone to get through. Love you!

    ReplyDelete